Life on the bright side, au soleil d'Emilie...

A blog about raising my baby girl, about my life as a wife, mum and lazy-eyed-cat owner, and generally about all the little random things which make each day wonderful.


Tuesday 22 March 2011

Knitted by Nanny

I get so many compliments for Millie's knitted jumpers and hats, that I thought I'd post a photo of her modelling a couple of them. There is nothing cuter than a baby in a handmade item, especially if it has been crafted especially for that baby.



Millie has a fabulous wardrobe full of knitted cardigans, berets, hats, mittens, dresses and even a sleeping bag knitted by her nanny. Her latest "Cat Jumper" can be seen in one of my previous posts. She even has a blanket which had been knitted by her great grand mother for J when he was a baby. It is a beautiful, very fine blanket and of course is very special. We had Millie photographed with it when she was a newborn, as her dad was also photographed with it as a baby.

I had a go at knitting myself but I must admit I'm not so good! My grand mother taught me as a child but I didn't carry on and quickly forgot. When my friends fell pregnant, I decided to rediscover the art of knitting. My first item was a pair of knitted Mary-Janes. My tension was all wrong, and I ended up making 3 shoes to get 2 which were roughly the same size!

Baby items are the best way to start though, as they are small and therefore (relatively) quick to make. I made Millie a blanket while I was pregnant. It was in my case a real work of love, as it took 6 months to make! I am due to make one for my sister's little boy who is due next month, so I really need to get started! I'm hoping I won't be so slow this time, as I was working full time when I knitted the first one. Having said that, I now have my little Crevette to look after, not sure whether that will leave me more time to knit!

No comments:

Post a Comment